Why is eating local so important?
Here at Fin and Farm, we witness the beauty of local food everyday. From working with independent businesses, visiting small farms in the breath-taking Sussex countryside, to directly observing the benefits of eating Sussex food, we revel in the magic of local.
But why, exactly, does eating Sussex feel so good?
Here’s five good reasons! (Of many…)
- It’s better for the environment.Local food is greener than buying commercial organic. Buying local is estimated to save £2.1 billion in environmental costs in the UK per year – compared to a yearly saving of £1.1 billion if all farms were organic. Pretty impressive!
Plus, with bio-dynamic farms, 10% of agricultural land must be dedicated to promoting and preserving biodiversity. Small farms generally have the capacity to grow a greater variety of produce, as well as relying on local resources to sustain them (and hence take a greater responsibility for the world around them).
So, not only are you helping the world, by shopping local, you make sure that Sussex continues to be a beautiful place for a country walk! Time to put those boots on…
- You support the Sussex economy.Supporting local farmers means that they get a better value for the food they sell compared to a supermarket. In fact, locally-produced food generates almost twice as much income for the local economy as the same amount spent in a typical supermarket. You can sleep easy knowing your food isn’t driving hard-working farms into the ground!
Whether supporting a local farm, a family-run business or an independent restaurant, you’re support real people – not an unjust system where only a few can profit. You’ll also ensure the thriving of local culture, making your area an overall better place to live. Who wouldn’t want that?
- Small farms have ethical standards – and can stick to them.Our meat and dairy come from farms that care about animal, environmental and social welfare. Local food is free from supermarket pressures and abuse – ethical standards are valued and put in practice. We visit all of our farms, and have witnessed with our own eyes the care and respect our local farmers have for their animals, workers and crops.
- Food is fresher, tastier and more nutritious.Your veg might look a little funnier and less perfect than your regulated supermarket produce – but it’s real food! It’s very, very fresh, and picked and delivered within hours. No hanging around in plastic on supermarket shelves for days.
You can really taste the difference. An all-local meal is an entirely different experience to a commercial one – so feed your taste-buds, body and soul with local food!
- You connect with the world around you.By supporting local, you’re contributing and participating in a local community. This is a direct social opposite to the isolation of consuming fast food, isolated and disconnected. This helps to preserve both local food security and local culture!
Plus, with local food, you’ll be eating seasonally. Food is at it’s best when eaten according to seasons – the quality of your diet will be vastly improved. Plus, you’ll enjoy produce all the more when it’s season comes around. Summer was made for strawberries – and winter for hearty root vegetable stews.
By supporting local, you’re preserving the health and beauty of your home county. You’re making a difference in the world. And, you’re reaping the benefits of highly delicious, extra nutritious seasonal, local produce for you, your community and your family.
What’s not to love?
Support Sussex today and shop local. Check out our website for an abundance of incredible local produce.
What do you love the most about supporting local farms and businesses? Let us know in the comments or tag us on social media! (@finandfarm)
Highlight of the week: SUSSEX CHEESE.
With 56 varieties of delicious, ethical, quality and unusual cheese, you won’t be disappointed. Take a look today!